Proposal: should universities be governed 2018-02-14 A single basanslag to research and education
Separate agreements between the state and the university. And a smaller proportion of external funding. There are some of the main proposals in the Control and resursutredningen (STRUT) should be submitted to the government by 3 december.
The government commission to review the universities ‘ and higher education institutions governance and resource allocation, led by Pam Fredman, professor in neurochemistry and former vice-chancellor of Göteborg university and chairman of Sveriges universitets – och högskoleförbund, SUHF. – We take a holistic approach to research, education, training and lifelong learning, ” she says. In the autumn of 2017, the investigators had a large number of meetings with universities, colleges, workers ‘and employers’ organisations, funders and others, to get comments. These conversations are the basis for a first proposal for a new model that was presented in January, ”Comprehensive model for the governance of universities and colleges”.
The investigator points out that the proposal is neither final nor complete, but is intended as a basis for further discussion. By 3 december, the commission of inquiry submitted to the government.
– The most important foundation of governance is the universities ‘ special role as an independent and critically reflective force in society, with academic freedom to design the research. But the school also has a social responsibility, and it is not separated from society, ” says Pam Fredman. Högskoleproposition and överenskommelserForskning and education will be linked more closely together according to the current proposal.
The commission of inquiry would instead of today’s bill, due to see a högskoleproposition that coordinates the political objectives for both education and research.
The current division of the separate appropriations to education and research, is to be removed.
– Research and education need to move closer to each other. New knowledge from the research to get students to spare. There is a consensus on it, ” says Pam Fredman. As a complement to högskolepropositionen proposes the investigation that the state and each institution of higher education to establish a four-year agreements. These would replace the current one-year directions and facilitate the universities ‘ own planning and profiling.
– It is not intended that these agreements will lead to more control or nitpicking. They must be based on trust and long-term – universities and colleges has its given role, and can the own operations the best.
At the same time, there will also be political objectives that take into account, for example, may be about equality, or the proportion of the population in the country to have a higher education. Investigators have looked at similar solutions in other countries.
In Denmark, for example, agreements in which the government determines four objectives and the university four.
The policy objectives can be about the volume of education or employability. The young academy is strongly critical of the proposal on separate agreements.
– We are concerned that it will lead to increased political control of research content. The model agreements are based on the entire college to agree on the objectives the hei should then negotiate with the state. But the state sits on the money so the negotiation becomes one-sided, ” says the college’s president Kristian Pietras.
He lacks the individual researcher’s perspective in the investigation.
– The model gives good opportunities for management to control the research, but the researchers are less able to act independently. Long-term finansieringI assignment is also to propose a new, concrete and long-term model for funding.
Pam Fredman suggest that a proportion of the total funding that goes directly to the university, in the form of basanslag, is comparatively small in Sweden. – The proportion must increase to provide better conditions for the universities to act independently and take long-term responsibility. Unless the government adds new resources must in the long run, be a redistribution from external government grants, ” says Pam Fredman.
The young academy would, however, not to the external funds, the share will reduce. They have traditionally been kvalitetsdrivande, stood for renewal and had a national perspective.
– They have an important role in the system to support innovative and curiosity-driven research. We also believe that competitive basanslag is an important part in getting higher education institutions to formulate long-term sustainable strategies and increase the quality of research, ” he Adds.
Ingrid Petersson, director general at the Swedish research council Formas, the lack of the investigation, a discussion of the research funders ‘ role. – External research funding is concerned, only on the basis of the individual institution’s perspective. There is no discussion about what the role of external financiers should have, ” she says.
Better coordination of external medelSamtidigt to the investigation to coordinate the state external funding, which is awarded via the research councils and authorities. – It is about to get more overview.
External research funding often lack the connection to education. Maybe it needed more resources to certain areas with a large training needs, ” says Pam Fredman. Dialogue with stakeholders will continue during the spring, and there is the opportunity to submit comments to the inquiry.
It won both the Swedish young academy and Formed to do.– We are open for adjustments and has not been latched onto us. . We want to have constructive approaches, ” says Pam Fredman.
The investigation should also start working on the parts that are still missing. For example, proposals for greater gender equality to be raised, as well as how the recruitment should be broadened and lifelong learning is facilitated. Text: Siv Engelmark .